I wanted to install a heater and insulate the van better. An insulated partition would seal and insulate better than the curtain partition I was using. It also gives me better privacy and security. This partitions also allows me to leave my van overnight at a mechanic without allowing them access to all my belongings in the living space. The door can be locked from the outside with a key.
I removed the partitioning curtain and used the fabric to reinforce the window curtains. They are now four layers thick with two layers of radiant barrier. Here’s a post about how I originally made my thermal black out curtains: DIY Cheap Thermal Blackout Curtains.
A basic frame was made with 2×2’s. I decided to only go with a half door because I’m always hopping over the tote I keep between the seats anyway. A door that goes all the way from the ceiling to the floor seemed unnecessary.
Making the panels was time consuming because I was trying to get all the curves just right. I painted the front panels a light gray color. It matched the interior fabric color pretty nicely.
This was the beginnings of a duct for the heater (I’ll write about this in the next post):
After mounting the front panels to the frame, the wall was insulated with the same technique as the rest of the van; a reflectix sandwich with denim insulation in the middle. I had to order the ultratouch denim here. I purchased the 24″ reflectix with bubble foil on both sides.
I installed the back panels and decided not to paint them. I’ll oil them whenever I get around to oiling the rest of the van.
I left some holes in the panels for wires to pass through. It was stuffed with denim around the wires.
The door frame was made from a recycled wood floor that my dad had left over from his house remodel.
The trim around the door frame was weather sealed to prevent air and light leakage.
The door was made out of 2×4’s and insulated with the same technique. I put a weather strip on the bottom of the door.
To see how I install the Webasto Heater, read Installing a Webasto Heater in a Van. The final product:
Side note: you might notice that I replaced the ceiling molding with 1×6’s. I like this better.
Here’s a quick video of the finished product:
Later, I did a stealth test video to see if any light was coming through.
In other news, my job contract ended and I’ve started a road trip with a friend. I’ve been documenting the trip on YouTube. Follow along on my channel! I’ve also updated the Adventure Map. We’re currently in California. Apologies for not posting in a while.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate Links. HurriedYear.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.